• Welcome to our forum!

Formula-SimRacing Team Selected Pre Race interviews Melbourne

David O'Reilly

Avid Chronic Racing
Martin O'Brundle managed to catch up with three of the Avid Chronic FSR drivers as they lunched at the track. He asked them how their preparations were going.

Firstly, Ace newcomer Pashalis Gergis.

How has preparation gone
Things are looking quite good for me, it seems that the track suits me more than I expected, we also have a great setup base for Albert Park which should translate in a good result for me and the rest of our ACE drivers
Any thoughts on the track? its design, or condition?
It's one of my favorite tracks alongside Suzuka and Nurburgring, it has slow corners, some mid-speed ones and some flatout corners like the fast S on sector 3, it's a really tricky track cause even though you carry much speed through the corners you have to be careful with the tires not to overrun them and have to change your strategy. Also the width is not big so you might end up on the walls if you miscalculate a braking point or an entry in one corner so it's going to be interesting.
Impact on set-up.?
Any issues to overcome?
My main issue in Winter Series was my own mistakes, I couldn't make 1 single race without making a mistake. It was Winter Series though, there's not much room for error here so I will do my best to finish because my pace is really up to par and I'm aiming high in my debut. I also struggled with tyre deg in a test race but I believe it was one night I didn't have the groove, I expect to manage my tyres well.
Compare the 2 tyre compounds?
To be honest I preffered to the SS/Mediums format before I drive it, I don't have much data on mediums but I expect to cover up this week, however the gap between the 2 compounds is big and personally I'll need some more practice to get the most out of them. Super Softs work as expected. SS/Softs combo worked out better for me in the test races but I think I can adjust in that combo aswell.
How are you looking compared to your team mate?
I think I have the edge over Teemu at the moment because I have more miles under my belt, he looked impressive in his first days of testing so I expect him to match my pace and be able to have a great race, let's hope we can both get our cars to the points.
What are your expectations regarding # of stops?
It's going to be tricky with the new compounds, the Mediums are much slower than the Super Softs so I really think it's up to who will manage them better, I believe the Medium tyre stints will be the deciding stints of the race in all divisions. Personally I would say most of the drivers will go for 3 stops but someone who has good pace and good tyre management might try 2 stops. We will have to see.
Where do you expect to be in Quali (eg will you make Q2)
My objective is to be able to in Q2, that's my target. I even expect myself to be better in Q2 with parc ferme settings (laughs) because my composure was not great in Winter Series were we only had 1 session to Q so you could end up last if you didn't get a good qualifying lap. So yeah I will have to get the best out of myself in Q1 because if I manage to get in Q2 I could really push to the max, the consequences of a spin or a mistake in a Q2 lap is a p10 place at worst so let's see.. It's going to be interesting for sure.
Expectations for the race?
Finish and having a mistake-free race.

Thanks Pashails and well see you on track on Saturday, good luck.

Next we found David O'Reilly ordering a coffee and asked how its all going at his home track.

How has preparation gone.
I'm getting there. Been doing a lot of laps, online and off line test races.
I'm Australian, it should be a favourite. It isnt quite, but its interesting. It looks more flowing than it really is. Its more of a point and squirt track with T5 and T10-11 being the only fairly fast corners and the second one is a chicane. Still its a street circuit after all.
Impact on set-up.?
Deceptive, the above descrition would indicate low wing but T10-11 are so critcal for speed in S3 that it isnt.
The walls are closer than they look.

Any issues to overcome?
Stability under brakes took a lot of finding.
The SS is like a marshmallow. Lovely but doesnt last long if you chew on it. The Med feels like a shopping trolley wheel.
David Cook seems to have an slight edge on raw pace but I'm closing the gap. Its likely we will see each other at some stage on track.
Most will go for 2. 1 stop is possible but a few laps of that wont be fun.
With lots of new faces its not easy to say. But probably somewhere between P12-P15.
To make up 5 places on my quali position.
To be on the lead lap.

Thanks David, good luck for your debut FSR race on your home track, no pressure then!

We next catch the notoriously somewhat taciturn Eugene Van Loggerenberg leaving with a coffee and heading to the door, we have to run beside him to get any answers!

How has preparation gone
Fine.
Well it hasn't changed for many years so the design is same and the condition should be the same.
Impact on set-up.?
Not really.
Any issues to overcome?
No.
One is fast and the other is not, Medium compound is less forgiving with a very small operating window which is a bit tricky
I think we look to the race the same, do the best we can
As mentioned before this can change during the race so lets see what happens.
Well that will be up to how the others do, I cannot predict this, Making into Q2 is the plan.
No, just do the best I can for the team, Its the first race.

We manage to shout out "Good luck Eugene" and he's gone.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Scalino

Avid Chronic Racing
Driving Academy
he he... :) Eugene is not taciturn, ladies & gents, it's just that he's not here for cheap talking! :) When you come to know him, he's a lovely dude... ;)