• Welcome to our forum!

Formula-SimRacing Team Melbourne-Selected Post Race Interviews

David O'Reilly

We spent some time with the Avid Chronic team as they packed up in Melbourne and prepared for their journey north to Malaysia.

Firstly, Michi Hoyer

Michi you had about as varied weekend as one could experience. On Saturday a Podium in Ace. On Sunday a drive in World Championship. How did it unfold?

Firstly Ace:
Qualifing was funny. I went out in Q1 for the first try setting a 1:22.7 which didn't seem to bad for a first attempt. I failed on the 2nd one by spinning on the outer curb of turn 12 (for the first time at all).
with 0:02 to go in the session i started my final lap doing a 1:22.327 to get into P8 and join Q2.
Q2 has been a decend lap and i ended up in P4.

(un)surprisingly the Twister guys were fast. It wasn't a surprise they were fast... but it was one how fast they were.

My start? If I would describe in one word: decent. I jumped Prieto in turn 1 putting myself in P3.

As the strategy miester we have to ask-Did you stick with your planned strategy?
Yes I stuck to the 2 Stop strategy because I had the belief in it for like 3 weeks. and I didn't try for 3 stops so i just went for it. - It worked

The final result?
After Pash just spun on the 3rd lap i gained his 2nd position and kept it defended until lap 41 where Rens Klop then got me. Nothing I could do about that. I'm very happy with the result.

If we recall correctly your only previous Ace podium was in the 30% distance reversed grid format, does this feel more significant?

Yes it does. 18 laps or whatever it was with a reverse grid is one thing, to fight these guys for 47 laps and take a podium. It feels pretty special. I'm happy about it.
I was also happy that I didn't touch a single object all race.

Any other thoughts?
I was surprised how fast and consistent Pashalis Gergis has been - Congratulations on that.

How did your team mate get on?
Georg's Race has been ended by the carnage on Lap 1 Turn 12 unfortunately. I think some Top 10 position died there.
So then you backed it up with a WC drive on Sunday. Talk us through it.

How was Qualifying?

Qualifying was pretty much expected. I could have gone for P12 maybe but I ended up in P17 by not showing all the potential.

Pace of other drivers?
Being not used to the speed of WC anyway I don't have any special thoughts of it. Kuba was magnificent holding on in that P2.

The Start?
Perfect! I passed John-Eric Saxen in the Grid-box, Passed Greco and some other guy between each other in turn 1 and placed a clever divebomb into turn 3. P17 --> P11 in 3 corners

Did you manage to stick with your planned strategy this time?
Unfortunately I spun in lap 5 on Turn 12 (some sort of a deja vu). I ripped my frontwing and went for pits. Here I changed from 3 Stop to 4 Stop - a good decision anyway.

The final result?
Wasn't that satisfying as ACE. I ended up in P12 which at least said I finished (what a lot of good known people didn't do). And I heard team members and bosses to be happy so I am okay with it.

Any particular issues or incidents?
Beside that mentioned spin on Lap 5. I hit Gennaro Celiento in the back as he left the pits in turn 2. I knew if i want to get him with worn tires, i need to carry the speed on the outside line through turn 2. I was 10cm to far on the inside and hit him on the rear wheel. We both spun for him it was DNF.

Kuba did an anstonishing Race in P2 - congratulations for that. I'm happy he didn't do any mistakes like he did in ASR or FSR Winterseries sometimes, bringing him into bad situations.

Thanks Michi whats the plans now?
Testing, testing, testing for Malaysia so we have a good setup there (because we need it) to challenge the Twister guys.

We then grabbed fellow Ace driver Georg Winter who was pretty philosophical after a lap one incident.

How was Qualifying?
Qualifying was incredible close. It was not about doing a mistake or not. It was one and only about taking the perfect line.

Pace of other drivers?
Other Drivers are very strong this year in ACE. The Grid is that close, that a little hint in the setup, a little trick in a corner can make the difference between midfield and front row.

The Start?
The Start was pretty ok. Got clean through so far. Leppala overtook me and we both overtook someone else. Than after T11/T12 We overtook Teemu who had a bad exit there. After that I had an accident with 3 other drivers. or better said I was caught by their wreckage.

Did you stick with your planned strategy?
Well. It was only 1 lap

The final result?
DNF: This is very unfortunate for me. I really expected a good start into the season and my race pace was really competitive

My Teammate did really well. He had a great race resulting in a great podium spot. I think it will be hard to beat him this year. But I`ll give my best.

Whats the plans now?
Stay out of trouble and get solid Top10 results. Thanks Georg.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

David O'Reilly

We pass now to the Pro drivers firstly David O'Reilly

How was Qualifying?
I didn't quite get into the zone and I was 1.2 sec off my PB. It might sound strange but I wasn't unhappy to be P21. If I went faster I felt I would be in the middle of more drama in Turn one. So it was ok for the first round.
Pace of other drivers?
The pole time by Nikodem was a World Championship time, it was insane. Then big variety down the grid.
The Start?
I was ultra conservative as I expected problems at Turn one and sure enough there was a lot of dust. I crawled around there in 1st gear driving around some wreckage but still someone managed to spin in front of me and collect my car. It put me in the kitty litter and gave me some slight damage, so I reckon possibly a 10 sec time loss.
Yes, I had a slight flat spot but decided to stick with a 1 stop. At lap 14 which was the 2 stop window I had a look around and chatted with Michi over the radio, I was holding a gap to the cars behind me and tyre wear was only slightly worse than target so we stuck with it.
The final result?
I ended P11 which is always going to be a bit frustating, one place out of the points. But from 21st on the grid I wasnt unhappy. Also P10 was only 20 sec up the road and as well as the Turn one issue at the start my pit stop was 13 sec instead of 4 sec due to damage. So without those incidents I migt have been fighting for P10. But, the attrition rate was high and that might have helped me!
No that was the only one, it was hard sitting there for 13 seconds though!
Any other thoughts?
I could have defended a bit harder for position after my stop. I was too focussed on tyre wear.
Lap time wise with a 1 stop you never hit the impressive pace that you get when you have that last 10 laps on low fuel and options. So my race pace was ok.
David Cook had great pace so its a shame that he had two big contacts that took him off the lead lap.
Whats the plans now?
I like Sepang better than Albert Park, so I cant wait!

Turning to your team mate and some say the #1 driver in ACR Blue David Cook.

David; Easy on that #1 status thing we were going to break it to O'Reilly gently.

How was Qualifying?
Very frustrating. On two laps I was held up and abandoned. On one lap I extended T12 and abandoned. I only had time for one more lap so I was quite cautious but luckily it was good enough to crack into the top 10. Then in Q2 I put the medium tires on so I knew there was not much chance of anything better than P10 and I was right. Also I accidentally hit the pit speed limiter button on the main straight so it was a disastrous time.

Pace of other drivers?

Very varied throughout the Pro grid. Very different levels of experience from back to front.

The Start?

Catastrophic. Body-checked from behind, leaving me in the gravel with bad bodywork damage and flatspotted tires.

No, it was all a mess after T1.

The final result?

P14 and two laps down.

The massive shunt at T1. Then I made the stupid decision not to pit at the end of lap 1. I tried to stick to my strategy even though my car was damaged. That led to a spin on lap 5, losing my front wing. After repairs I had to let Kweekel by but then another car came by too and collided with me, giving me more bodywork damage moments after I had just had repairs. From then on I was driving with my eyes on my mirrors more than anything, looking out for lapping cars. And as I was fiddling with the pit repairs buttons I spun again and lost my wing again which put me 2 laps down after pitting again. Then for the rest of the race I had a car with no damage and nice super soft tires but I couldn't make much use of them. I was stuck behind cars that had lapped me and I didn't really want to unlap myself unless someone went off track in front so from there I was just cruising and bringing it home for the 10 points I get for finishing.

Any other thoughts?

Disappointed I wasn't able to make more of my race pace but must put it behind me and look ahead to Sunday.

David O'Reilly brought it home safely in P11 which gives the team useful points under the Pro points structure.

Whats the plans now?

To try to adjust to the new Malaysia track surface and focus on not crashing on Sunday.

Thanks David.

We now speak to the more experienced of the three Pro drivers here-

Eugene van Loggerenberg. Lets see if he is more talkative than before the race!

How was Qualifying?
Not so good, I did not deliver a good lap.
Pace of other drivers?
Some were surprising but not so much.
The Start?
Start was good, before T1 I could see what was going to happen so I slowed and watched, went through it and continued with my race.
I was held up a bit by Befumo in the first few laps I didn't have enough speed to pass on the straights, plan was to stop 1 or 2 laps early.
The final result?
DNF, Lost down-force behind Befumo on exit of T12 and spun.
No, Engineers must work on speed for my car.
Any other thoughts?
My pace was good for much better result.
Nothing he was involved in T1 incident
Whats the plans now?
Prepare for the for the next race, GET SPEED.

So thanks guys we will chat in Malaysia on the weekend.